Building muscle is a difficult task as it is. It is much harder if you don’t eat right. In addition to working out the right way, you also have to eat foods that will help you gain muscle mass effectively. Would you like to find out what sort of foods work best for you?
The Top 10 Foods
1) Red meat- We know what you have heard. Red meat is a source of cholesterol and fat. Yes, that is true. But, when you get lean red meat it is a great source of protein. In addition, it has iron, zinc and vitamins that can aid muscle growth.
2) Milk- Milk is a good source of calcium, minerals, vitamins and proteins (casein).
3) Eggs- Egg whites are a great source of protein. In the past, bodybuilders would eat raw eggs as a source of protein. Even in the movie Rocky, you see Sylvester Stallone playing the character of Rocky Balboa chugging a shake comprising of several eggs.
But, these days bodybuilders use eggwhites and skip the yolks to benefit from the egg protein while avoiding the unnecessary cholesterol. Use egg whites and you should be fine.
4) Cottage cheese- This breaks down very slowly during digestion making it a popular component of a body-builder’s diet. Use the low-fat variety to avoid the fat calories of whole milk products.
5) Oatmeal- This is an excellent whole grain product which is a great source of carbohydrates. These complex carbohydrates in addition to the fiber will help you maintain high levels of energy while promoting muscle growth.
6) Nuts- They are an excellent source of EFAs or essential fatty acids that are vital to muscle growth and repair. Some other good sources of EFAs are peanut butter, olive oil and certain types of fish. If you take 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or olive oil daily, you will get all the EFAs your body needs.
7) Chicken- Lean chicken (breast meat) is a great source of protein. If you want to avoid red meats this is a great alternative worth considering.
8) Fish- Fish like salmon are excellent sources of EFAs including omega-3. Eating fish two or three times a week will help promote muscle growth and help you get vital micronutrients that are hard to find in other foods.
9) Vegetables- Green leafy vegetables are a great source of cancer-fighting nutrients and they add the necessary fiber to your diet to aid in digestion.
10) Fruits- Through fruits such as kiwi, apples, berries and oranges you will provide your body with vital nutrients needed for muscle repair and growth. Pay attention to the color of the fruits and choose from the organic variety as much as possible.